The Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum 1840-1940 began as a small exhibit of local farm tools at the Pitt County American Legion Agricultural Fair in 1976 as part of the commemoration of the Bicentennial celebration of the United States. Co-founders Connor Eagles and Lester Turnage saw the popularity of the exhibit grow and began adding hundreds of local farm artifacts and old farm structures to a site on the fairgrounds.

Connor Eagles

Lester Turnage

In 2009, with a reorganized board, the museum moved to 5.6 acres of the former Pitt County Home farm, which was donated by the Pitt County Commissioners.


Today the potential for the Village is great not only as a museum but also as a learning facility and community venue.

Two local Greenville firemen and master carpenters Harvey Case (on roof) and Paul Nethercutt (on ladder) work on the roof of the 1879 Satterthwaite Store.

Co-founder Connor Eagles dips from a well hewed from a cypress tree.

In 2009, board members Bob Newton and Roger Kammerer helped unload transportation pieces in the Village's move to County Home Road.

Co-founder Les Turnage and grandson Collier Finch play checkers in the 1879 Satterthwaite Store moved from Pactolus.